Saturday, February 4, 2012

Healthy Food Shopping

I woke up today with a child with a 103.5 fever.  Yuck!  Was supposed to have the old 'hood over to see our new place and now need to cancel.  I planned to prepare a no bean chili and a vegetarian chili and have 2 cases of beer, 4 bottles of wine, juice pouches, and pop (soda for some of you) for our guests.  Still no diet for me!  YIPPEE!  Still not even a craving and I'm very surprised.  Trust me the sparkling water is just perfect:)

Before I share my journal, I wanted to share a few things I've learned from grocery shopping.  In fact, I wrote a newsletter some time ago about this very topic.
  • When you see "natural" - PAUSE! Everything comes from something so essentially everything is "natural".
  • A product with the "all-natural" claim can still be high in calories, saturated fat, sugar, sodium, or low in fiber, and low in other nutrients.
  • 3 grams or more of fiber per serving means that it is a good source of whole grains.
  • Organic has to do with how the plants are grown, or how the animals are raised. It has little to do with the nutritive value of the final product.
  • Organic Food: Products that are free of antibiotics, preservatives, growth hormones, and trans fats.

3 Organic Food levels—
-100% Organic (USDA)
-Organic (USDA) at least 95%
-Made with Organic Ingredients. At least 70%
The bottom line is if it’s certified organic, it’s certifiably healthy.



 Nutrient Label Descriptors
Low—calorie: Less than or equal to 40 calories per serving
Trans-fat free: <1% total fat or less than or equal to 0.5g fat
per serving
Cholesterol free: <2g saturated fat
Low fat: less than or equal to 3g per serving
Low saturated fat: <1g per serving and less than or equal to 15% of
calories from saturated fat.
Very low sodium: less than or equal to 35mg per serving
 Low sodium: less than or equal to 140mg per serving


Do you or anybody you know only buy no fat or low fat products?  I know I've been known to do so, but next time you do, please take the time to compare the labels.  Think of it this way, if you remove some fat or all fat from a food, something needs to be added.  Many times it's sugar and carbohydrates.  Just take a gander and see for yourself.

Food Journal

February 2

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean Triple Berry Crumble, Frozen Blueberries, Almond Milk, Coffee...big surprise.

Lunch:  Peanut Butter and Jelly on a whole grain pita.  Yum!  Banana and Water

Snack:  Lemon Lara Bar

Dinner:  Salmon with sauteed mushrooms and spinich.  Skim Milk

Evening Drinks:  Chai Tea Latte and water

February 3

Breakfast:  Special K with Berries, Frozen Blueberries, Almond Milk, Coffee

Lunch:  Sweet Potato with Cottage Cheese and Pepper.  Water

Snack:  An orange and a key lime Lara Bar.

Dinner:  Boy, this is a dinner for champions.  Get this...veggie straws, pretzel chips dipped in jalepeno Greek yogurt (Costco and sooooo good), cucumbers, and 3 Coors Lights.  Yep, it was an impromptu thing with another family.  We ordered pizza too, but honestly, I wasn't even tempted...until the leftover pizza was sent home with us and I bagged it up.  Before bagging, I was going to snag a piece, but honestly I was so dam full from eating the appetizer stuff that I really didn't need it.  Remember mindless eating?  Guilty as charged!  I have no idea how much I put down.  Oh well, at least it wasn't that crappy.

February 4th

Breakfast:  Special K with Berries, yada, yada, yada...

Snack:  Apple

Lunch:  PB & J on a whole wheat pita, water

Snack:  Sugar Snap Peas

Chili for tonight recipe:

Terrific Turkey Chili (http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=terrific%20turkey%20chili&SearchIn=All).  I pretty much followed the recipe, except I accidently bought pineapple salsa, didn't add a bunch of green onions, and added a jalepeno because we love it HOT!  I added up the calories and it serves 6 people at 214 calories a pop.  NICE!  This is without the sour cream, cheese, crackers, Doritos, etc...that you may add on top.


Terrific Turkey Chili Recipe

Dinner:  A bowl of chili with a tablespoon of sour cream and a bit of shredded cheese.  This chili was so good!




No comments:

Post a Comment