Sunday, February 26, 2012

Green Monsters, Pictures, and Birthday Fun!

February 24

Breakfast: Kashi Go Lean Triple Berry Crumble, frozen blueberries, almond milk, and coffee with the fixin's

Lunch: Whole wheat pita filled with ham, cojack cheese, and mustard; orange; sugar snap peas and skim milk.

Snack: 6 Almond Pops with blueberries

Dinner: I took the kids to Fratello's before my son's hockey practice. I had the roasted salmon salad with water. I asked for the soy vinigarette dressing on the side. This is a tasty dish! This restaurant is excellent, because they have an area for the kids to play and they are fast, courteous, and great with kids.  www.fratellospizzeria.com

Evening snacks: I promised the kids I would make them a green monster smoothie when we got home from hockey. They were excited about the name, but not so much when they ate it. I'm going to keep trying with them though! This smoothie concoction is so good (in my opinion)! I only prepared 1/2 of the recipe, but this would be excellent for an on the go snack or for breakfast. Later in the evening, I had some smart pop popcorn.

Green Monster
1 frozen sliced banana (slice before you freeze)
1 T. peanut butter
1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek Yogurt
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
4 cups baby spinach

Combine all ingredients in a blender and enjoy.

350 calories, 10g fiber, 21g protein

February 25

Breakfast: Vanilla Almond Special K cereal, frozen blueberries, almond milk, and coffee, yada, yada, yada...

Lunch: Portillo's chopped salad with no dressing and water

Snack: Orange

Dinner: So I went down to Taylor St. in Chicago to celebrate a friend's birthday. We went to a fabulous restaurant called Davanti. They do not take reservations, so we put our name in at 6:15 pm. They told us it would be 1 1/2 to 2 hours. OK, fine, we'll just go across the street to a wine bar, and come back later to be seated.  The name of the wine bar was Beviamo Wine Bar, and they had the longest martini list I had ever seen. Seriously, I just asked the waitress to give us some options. I ended up having 2 pomagranate martinis and some water. The martinis were amazing!  You'll have to go there someday...www.cityinsights.com/chicago/beviamowinebar.html

We headed back over to Davanti at 8:00 and ordered a bottle of red.  The four of us split the bottle, and at 8:30, I walked over to ask the host how much longer we had to wait.  I was starving so basically I told them that if I get any hungrier, I turn into something quite ugly.  We sat at our table at 8:45; 2 1/2 hours after we put our name in.  When we sat down, I wondered how I was going to journal my food, so I decided to take a menu, circle our choices, and take pictures to share with you all.  Enjoy the ride!  Remember, these are small plates, except for one, and we split the dishes 4 ways.  Check out www.davantichicago.com.

View from Davanti from the wine bar.

roasted squash+farro+whipped goat cheese+hazelnuts+watercress = my favorite dish of the night!

truffle egg toast+fontina+asparagus

Pizza della Terra - foraged mushrooms+braised leeks+laleggio+truffle oil = delish!  I had 2 pieces.

Focaccia di Recco - Ligurian style baked focaccia+fresh soft cow cheese
This dish was huge, and yes, I ate 2 pieces.

Paccheri con Salciccia e Pomodori al forno - giant rigatoni+sausage+oven roasted tomato+parmigiano
So good!  Almost forgot to take the picture.  Maybe the 2 martinis and the glass and a half of wine were beginning to kick in.  No more alcohol for me...just water during dinner.

After dinner, the waiter offered a dessert menu and we decided to have our dessert in martini form back at the wine bar we visited earlier in the night.  The dessert martinis looked crazy amazing.  So we pay our bill which was incredibly inexpensive for the meal we just had, and headed back over to the wine bar.

One oatmeal cookie, one reeses peanut butter cup, one grasshopper, and mine was the peanut butter and jelly.

 Our suburban cab was on the way, and we decided to have a second when he was taking a bit longer than expected.  Oh darn!

Picture while enjoying our dessert.  This guy thought he was SO....cool.  For those of you who do not know me, I'm the second from the left.

So the cabbie picks us up and brings us home.  What a fabulous night!  The End...

Wait!  The night's not over.  I get home and decide to have a small bowl of Kashi Go Lean Triple Berry Crumble Cereal with frozen blueberries and almond milk.  Seriously?


February 26

Breakfast:  2 pieces of turkey bacon, hashbrowns, scrambled eggs with cheese, and one piece of toast with butter, cinnamon and sugar.  Skim Milk and Coffee

Lunch:  We had a lazy morning so our breakfast was at 10:00 am.  It was a bit of a crazy morning too, but part of it was driving my husband to the airport.  After dropping him off, the kids and I went to my mother in law's birthday brunch.  I had coffee, a little orange juice and some fruit.  We sang her happy birthday and I enjoyed some chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and chocolate chip ice cream.  It's no secret that I love chocolate, and inside the cake was chocolate chips which was a great addition.

Dinner:  I really wasn't hungry all day.  I'm guessing because I ate so well the night before, plus I had a pretty big breakfast.  I rolled deli ham around light string cheese, ate an orange, and topped it off with 4 almond pops with blueberries.  Water

Now, my goal is to get the kids to bed early, cuddle under my favorite blanket, and watch the Oscar's.


No comments:

Post a Comment