Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Calorie Density 101

CALORIE DENSITY
What the heck is calorie density?  This is something I've been meaning to write about and I hope it comes in handy when it comes to your food choices.  It's quite simple.  An article I will link you to is going to explain it very well, but here is the gist...

1 cup of strawberries is 50 calories
1 donut hole also equals 50 calories

In order for you to feel fuller, you would have to eat the cup of strawberries instead of the one donut hole even though the caloric intake was the same.  Comprende?    Another example is to measure out 300 calories of broccoli as opposed to 300 calories of Oreos.  Which food would give you more of?

For more info, check out:
great video! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gTLpTq1nQk Finishing off Wednesday, February 20th

Finishing out Wednesday, February 20th
Popcorn
Greek Yogurt topped with strawberries and honey

Thursday, February 21st

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean and Special K with berries mixed; frozen berries; almond milk; coffee; creamer

Morning Snack:  Apple; Mini LARABAR UBER Salted Nut Roll

Lunch:  Egg Harbor Sweet Potato Tot Skillet (sweet potato tots, cheese, egg beaters; English muffin with butter and awesome jam); water

Tonight I helped celebrate a friend's birthday at a place in Hinsdale called CINE.  I highly recommend eating here because the food and atmosphere are great.  Come with your family, friends, date, etc...  We split everything because it's really hard to pick just one thing.  So this is what we split between 5 girls.

Appetizers:
Chips; salsa; guacamole - Yes, I loved and ate probably too much.
Trio of Empenadas

Entres:
Carne Asada
Chile Rellano
White Mole
CRUD...I think they're was a 4th entre and can't remember.

Dessert:
Cinnamon Churros with Chocolate and Blackberries

Drink:
Pre-dinner drink before our cabbie picked us up:  Paloma and so good.  Cine serves it as well.
Pride and Passion Drink
Margarita
Blue Moon

Post-Dessert when I got home:  One of those stupid Chocolate Chip Cookies Wade brought home from Corner Bakery.  Just gotta keep them out of the house!

Friday, February 22nd


Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean and Special K with berries mixed; frozen berries; almond milk; coffee; creamer

Lunch:  Turkey Chili with a dollop of Greek yogurt

Snack:  I shared a banana and an apple with my son.  I dipped mine into the PB2, but he didn't like it.  I don't mind, because it's a mommy snack.  Just a side note:  PB2 appears to be kind of expensive, however, I have to remember that I still have to mix it with water which makes it a bit more than what it appears to be.

Pre-dinner drink:  Miller Lite

Dinner:  Wade and I took the kids to Salseria in Elmhurst.  I had a Hornitos Margarita, beans, and 1/2 of my tilapia burrito.  Oh, yes, and chips and salsa.  Water too.

Bunco treats:  I had 2 Spotted Cow beers; 8 peanut butter stuffed pretzels; too many chocolate granola yogurt bites; 3 small pieces of chocolate; a few sweet potato chips, and this really good chip dip with tortilla chips.  This was throughout the evening, and too much in my opinion.

Saturday, February 23rd

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean and Special K with berries mixed; frozen berries; almond milk; coffee; creamer

Late Morning Lunch:  This morning we had a surprise 7AM TRX class for our clients.  I came in, taught the class, then returned before 10AM for an amazing presentation by Dr. Dana Celar.  She shared with our clients what foods to eat in 2013.  She brought in samples and shared her recipes with us.  I brought my daughter in as well, and boy oh boy, was she loving all the healthy eats.  Here is what we enjoyed:

Kale Chips; Tumeric-Ginger Cauliflower; Blueberry Banana Smoothie with Flax Seed; Acai Breakfast Bowls Cereal; Quinoa Pilaf;  and 60% Cacao Dark Chocolate.

Snack:  Apple/Banana split with my son; PB2

Dinner:  Long story short...all of you Elmhurstians should've gotten something in the mail from the Elmhurst City Centre about if you spend $200 in a restaurant that accepts Elmhurst City Centre Gift Certificates, you'll get a $25 Elmhurst City Centre gift certificate.  WOW...I'm not writing that sentence again, but it's a long one.  Anywho, they offered this incentive to Elmhurst City Centre merchants before this program went out to the public.  Jen and I went crazy, and then invited another business to join us in our craziness to see if we could get the maximum amount of gift certificates possible.  The only difference is that it wasn't limited to restaurants only...in was any business that was part of the Elmhurst City Centre program.  OK...this story is longer than I expected.  We collected $300 in gift certificates.  THE END.

So we took these GC's, grabbed our husbands, and headed off to 100 South for dinner.  I started off with a Ketel One Dirty Martini with Blue Cheese Olives.  We split a couple appetizers which were clams and oysters.  I love the heel of a loaf of bread, so I cut a very small piece.  My dad loves the heels too:)  I then ordered a side salad with balsamic vinaigrette and an Effin Cherry Vodka with Sprite.  For my entre, I enjoyed the Filet trio with a baked potato (sour cream only) and broccoli.  My drink topper for dinner was a Cool Collins.  The entire meal was fantastic.  I also downed quite a bit of water as well.

This was my meal.  I scraped 1/2 the sour cream off the potato, and ate 2 1/2 of the filets.  The middle one with blue cheese was my least favorite.

This beauty was Veal Parmesan, I think.  This picture is taken because quite honestly, it's the biggest plate of food I have ever seen.  Seriously, this pic does not do justice.  I think 4 meals were eaten due to this massive plate of food!

Did anyone watch Desperate Housewives?  If so, remember the scene where Bree's son brought home his girlfriend for dinner?  She took a picture of her food.  I thought it was weird like a lot of people probably did.  Well...I'm that girl now.

We headed to Pints after dinner and I had a vodka tonic.  We also bought SOCO Lime shots for the table.

Then, we had a few people who'd never been to The Club.  Helloooo????  You so need to go to The Club, and if you go there, we must bring you in through the BACK DOOR.  I had a Blue Moon.  What a fun night!  My cheeks hurt from laughing.  Never a dull moment.

Sunday, February 24th

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean; frozen berries; almond milk; coffee; creamer

Lunch:  Better 'n Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam Sandwich on Whole Wheat bread

Snack:  apple; pb2; 1/4 c. cottage cheese; pistachios

Dinner:  Birthday Dinner for my mother in law.  Baked Chicken breaded with smashed French Onion; potato salad; a few potato chips; lots of mixed fruit; carrot cake and ice cream.  I DID NOT eat the bread and butter.

Monday, February 25th

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean cereal; frozen berries; almond milk; coffee; creamer

Late-Morning Run:  Jen and I ran 5.39 miles.  Yes, I add that .39 in there because at first I only agreed to run 5.  See?  There she goes again...slave driver.  She knows I'm kidding...or am I?  I'm thankful for her, because I don't know if I'd be ready for this weekend's run if it wasn't for her encouragement to get out and train.

This weekend we are supporting a fundraiser called The No Frills Fun Run.  The cool thing about this run is that it's a 1/2 marathon course, but you're only asked to run what you feel comfortable doing.  My husband and I are going to run 1/2 of the 1/2.  It might be a slushy, snowy course, but honestly, who cares...if it helps a worthy family through a tough time, then I'm game!

Lunch:  Seafood 'n Crab Salad from Subway

Snack:  Apple; pb2; pistachios

Dinner:  A repeat from breakfast.

Tuesday, February 26th

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean cereal; frozen berries; almond milk; coffee; creamer

Morning Snack:  Kiwi (I knew this was a healthy choice, but didn't realize just how fantastic it is until Dr. Celar told us!); coffee; creamer

For more info on the benefits of kiwi: Click here!

Dr. Celar was telling us about how people in the US don't typically eat the skin of a kiwi.  I mean it is rather hairy if you ask me.  However, I have been known to chomp right through it...skin and all:)  Like I did this time.  People in Australia and New Zealand do it, so why don't we?

Lunch:  Chipotle Chicken Bowl; I'm really careful about how these are prepared.  I decrease the brown rice, increase the black beans, and drastically reduce the amount of sour cream and cheese.

Snack:  Oatmeal with Flax Seed.  After microwaving it, I throw in frozen berries for yumminess and to decrease the temperature.

Dinner:  Baked Chicken; cooked spinach; potato salad; and 3 Samoa girl scout cookies.

Evening Snack:  Popcorn and a piece of gum

Wednesday, February 27th

Breakfast:  I mixed Special K with berries and Kashi GoLean together; almond milk; frozen berries; coffee; creamer

Snack:  Kiwi (skin and all) and a Cashew Cookie mini LARABAR

Lunch:  Lunch was at 2:15, so thank goodness I had that morning snack at 9:00am.  My breakfast was at 5:15am before boot camp, so the morning snack was needed, plus it helped me get through my busy day.  A haircut and taxes were during the lunch hours so they needed to get done first.  OK, lunch was the rest of my Turkey Chili with a dollop of Greek yogurt.

Dinner:  On Sunday, I made some meals for my in-laws and had some leftover "filling" for a chicken pot pie.  I didn't have biscuits, flour, pancake mix, or pie crust to finish out the dish.  So tonight I see it in the fridge and realize I had cornbread mix in the pantry.  I whipped some up, covered the chicken and veggies, threw it in the oven, and set the timer for 25 minutes.  I was starting to feel hungry so instead of eating the tortilla chips or graham crackers staring at me, I ate an apple.  After 25 minutes, the pot pie was not done.  I'm guessing because the filling was cold from being in the fridge and the cornbread wouldn't bake as fast because of that.  I set it for 8 more minutes.  I'm hungry.  So, I make a spinach salad with goat cheese, sunflower seeds, yellow and red peppers I chopped up, and dressing.  I gobble that up.  I check the pot pie.  Still not done.  I set the timer for 7 more minutes.  What can I do instead of invading the tortilla chips?  YES, I'll start a load of laundry.  Done.  The timer goes off, and FINALLY I can eat the pot pie!  It was great. After my meal, I did have 3 Samoas (a high calorie dense food, ugh...).


















No comments:

Post a Comment