Sunday, February 3, 2013

Garrett's Popcorn and Pavlov's Dogs

Blogging is weird.  I've got a bunch of people reading this from several different countries and it's just surreal.  I've bypassed 6,000 views since it's inception which is even crazier.  I wonder if I can get to 10,000 before the end of this 10 weeks?  Highly doubtful, but social media is crazier and if people share and pass along you never know what will happen.

You know what else is weird?  How you start to salivate when something sounds fantastic to eat.  Case in point...Garrett's Popcorn!  It's like Pavlov's dogs.  The mere thought of the Chicago Mix from this place literally makes my mouth think it's holding the Mississippi River inside.  Instant salivating!

Yesterday, my family went into the city to do some pretty cool stuff.  We started out heading to Soldier(s) Field and skated on the hockey rink they constructed right in the middle of the football field.  Afterwards, we promised the kids that we'd check out the Chicago Blackhawks store and another store for my daughter to get some new duds.  Of course, my son made out on the deal too.  It all started when mommy and daughter stood out in the cold for the skating tickets on Soldier Field.  We froze and all she could say was, "Daddy owes us big!"  I guess "owes us big" means taking her shopping!  You go, girl!

Anyway, this story DOES take us to Garrett's eventually.  You see, I told her about this great popcorn place and promised to take her there.  NEVER EVER make a promise you can't keep.  She'll never let you live it down.  I told her "I couldn't find the place."  In reality, it was just to damn cold and I really wanted to get to the car.  Guess what...on the way back to the car...we stumbled upon Garrett's Popcorn.  Phew!  We ordered up the Chicago Mix which is a fantastic mix of caramel corn and cheese popcorn.  Unbelievable.

OK, onto the food journal which will include some of this yummy stuff.  But first, I need to back track a bit.

Friday, February 1st

Breakfast:  Peanut Butter Puffins; frozen berries; almond milk; coffee; creamer

Lunch:  A piece of leftover Turkey Meatloaf and Pirate Booty

Snack:  Smore's Luna Bar

Dinner: Baked Tilapia with the Lemonaise coating the top of the fish; gnocchi from Trader Joe's (kids loved)

Evening appetizers:  I went out this evening and I had a few tortilla chips with this allegedly fat free dip.  Damn the person that told me it was fat free, because I probably dipped 3 more chips into it because of that fact.  Then I had this pastry looking thing with cheese and some jalapenos (?) in it.  Good, but should've passed up.  I didn't need it.  Lastly, I had this amazing piece of chocolate cake with strawberry flavored frosting.  

Evening drinks:  1 Leine's Berry Weis; 2 pomegranate vodka drinks; and 3 more glasses of beer.  Water too!

Late Snack:  Kashi Fruitful Berry Shredded Wheat Cereal; frozen berries; coconut milk.  I thought it was a good idea because I had to wake up early to teach classes.

Saturday, February 2nd

Breakfast:  What breakfast?  Oh, yes, the one I ate 6 hours earlier!

Workout:  I taught 2 TRX suspension training classes this morning.  I did most of the first one.  I believe my clients left satisfied as I have received a few text messages and emails:)  Love that!

Lunch:  Jimmy John's Mini #7 (turkey and provolone with lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, and this spicy cherry tomato relish); Sea Salt and Vinegar Jimmy Chips (I love these!); unsweetened ice tea with a lemon

Drink:  Hot Chocolate at Soldier Field...it was FREEZING, but my drink was warm.

Pre-dinner:  Garrett's Chicago Mix Popcorn (probably about a cup or 2, and another reason to measure things out and not just dip your fingers in.)

Dinner:  De Campana in Elmhurst; I had chips and salsa; Taco Salad; margarita on the rocks (no salt)

Post-dinner:  Garrett's Chicago Mix Popcorn; I was full, but this stuff is tough to pass up.  Where's my will power?  And not Will Power the race car driver!

Sunday, February 3rd

Breakfast:  Kashi Fruitful Berry shredded wheat cereal; frozen berries; coconut milk; coffee; creamer

Snacks:  Caribou Small Nonfat Vanilla Latte; apple with PB2 Chocolate

Today, we went to my son's hockey jamboree in Oak Park.  Afterwards, we came home and my husband went to the store and brought home:

Eggs - I asked for them
Almond Milk - Again, I asked and he called me from the store because there's like 5 different kinds.
Hot Dog Buns - I don't eat, therefore, I don't buy.
French Onion Dip - UGH...when it's in the house, I can't stay away from.  We shall see...
2 bags Lays REDUCED FAT potato chips - Wade made a point of saying they were reduced fat.  God love him:)
2 cases of Diet Coke - haven't drank in a year and proud of it!  I've accidentally drank his once thinking it was my iced tea and it tasted horrid.

Lunch:  I polished off the tuna salad with a 1/2 whole wheat pita.  The Garrett's popcorn is staring at me!  I want some, but I'm going to wait til later when the Super Bowl starts.  Might be good after I eat some Lou Malnati's pizza.  Oh boy, I'm preparing myself for a few calories later on!  Will power at it's greatest!

Afternoon Snack:  Blueberry Banana PB Smoothie
Skinnytaste.com 
Servings: 1  • Size: 1 tall glass • Old Pts: 5 pts • Weight Watchers Points+: 7 pts
Calories: 261 • Fat: 4 g • Protein: 13 g • Carb: 48.5 g • Fiber: 8 g • Sugar: 26.5 g
Sodium: 212.4 mg

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium banana (frozen)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt 
  • 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened frozen blueberries (I used mixed frozen berries)
  • 2 tbsp PB2
  • 1/2 cup ice (my banana was frozen so no need to add ice)

Directions:
Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth.

Dinner:  Lou Malnati's Pepperoni Deep Dish Pizza - 1 1/2 pieces; Garrett's Popcorn - too much, but boy oh boy, so good.

Evening Snack:  I think I had enough for the day so I popped a piece of Trident and drank more water.

Workout:  26 Burpee Push Ups during the Super Bowl power outage.





No comments:

Post a Comment