Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Holiday Food Journal, Chipotle, and a trip to McD's

What started the "IDEA"...


I've been journaling since December 3rd, and wasn't sure if it would actually make it to blog form.   I challenged myself to a Holiday Food Journal, and probably one of the dumbest (and smartest) things I ever considered.  Every time I do this to myself, my hope is that others will consider to do the same, or at least become more mindful eaters.  That's all.

Tuesday, December 3rd

Workout:  It was Tabata Tuesday at 5:30 am Boot Camp...I participated in maybe 80% of it.

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean Toasted Berry Crumble; frozen raspberries and blueberries; almond milk (this will probably be the same breakfast every day...if it's different I will let you know.)
Coffee with Pumpkin Spice creamer.

Workout:  4.5 mile run

Lunch:  Jen and I went to NU Crepes and split The Blonde and The Cali (no ham); coffee with 1/2 & 1/2

Snack:  Greek yogurt with less than a tablespoon of honey

Dinner:  Turkey burger on bun; ketchup; pickles, and I cooked up some spinach with red peppers and salad dressing (oil spray so veggies wouldn't stick); 1 tator tot; water

Wednesday, December 4th

Breakfast:  yada yada yada

Elijah's Almond Cafe au Lait with skim milk (recommended by the owner and so good!)

Morning Snack:  apple

Workout:  Vince...for those of you who know...you'll appreciate...30 minutes of pure "fun".

Lunch:  Chili

Afternoon Snack:  Luna Bar Chocolate Nut Brownie

On the way to hockey practice:  I did a HUGE NO NO!  I picked up the kids from Religious Ed and forgot to pack a snack for the ride to hockey.  We (gulp) drove through the McDonald's drive thru.  I can honestly say that I do not remember the last time I did that.  Needless to say, the kids were happy.  I grabbed a iced vanilla coffee to go.

Dinner:  I grabbed whatever I had and mixed it together.  Ingredients:  Quinoa; turkey burger, cream of mushroom soup, and mixed vegetables.  Ate probably a cup of the meal, then mixed Chocolate PB2 together and dipped a banana in it.

Thursday, December 5th

Breakfast:  yep, same

Morning snacks:  banana; apple; blueberry Luna Bar; couple nuts, and a small piece of white chocolate

Lunch:  Sofritas bowl from Chipotle.  If you don't know about Sofritas...I love it.  Heck, even my husband liked it.

Let me share a little about a typical Chipotle experience.  It's typical for me, not sure how it is for you...here goes...

Before:  In a bowl, I would mix brown rice (they put a large amount in bowl), black beans (probably 1/2 the amount of the rice), chicken, fresh salsa, sour cream (they plop a huge amount all over what's already in), cheese (too much in my opinion), and quacamole (OMG...the serving is huge), and whatever lettuce they can fit in the bowl which is not a lot.  FYI:  Guessing the price of avocados has gone up since it used to be FREE.  Now you get charged.

After or in my words...Jill's Way...In a bowl I ask for a smaller amount of brown rice (maybe 1/2 cup), black beans (I say a lot and they'll put in about 3/4 cup), sofritas (tofu and it is the consistency of ground beef and tastes a bit like chicken with a spicy kick...good stuff), fresh salsa, a little sour cream (maybe a tablespoon), cheese (sprinkled on lightly), quacamole (maybe a 1/4 cup)...ticks me off that it costs the same amount, but it's sooooo much less of it, and lettuce (I get so much more, and usually ask them to put more on since there's more room in the bowl now.

Healthier and it's so good:)  You don't want to see my face when they put too much sour cream and guacamole on...has anyone seen my "look?"  Just ask my husband...or one of the guys at the studio.

Snack:  sugar snap peas (larger lunch always equals smaller snack, or vice versa)

That evening we had an event at Fleet Feet called Diva Night.  It was so much fun and the turnout was fantastic.  Kudos to Ashley and Jason for putting on such a great event for the deserving women of Elmhurst and surrounding communities.

Of course there was food and wine, and I did not have dinner yet.

Diva Night food and drink:  1 glass of red and 1 glass of white wine; 2 appetizer size tortilla wraps, 2 small pieces of cheese and 2 olives; crackers with hummus.  Appetizers are the devil...I pick and pick and pick and pick...

Later that evening, I headed over to a friend's house.  I had a couple beers, cheese, crackers, hummus, pretzel chips, and a chocolate chip cookie.

Not the best of nights, but not the worst:)

That's the end of what I'm sharing on this post.  I can guarantee you some interesting food choices, and with the holidays comes more alcohol.  YEP...I still can't believe I'm doing this.

Until next time...make healthy choices and get your workouts in!!!

Jill





No comments:

Post a Comment