Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Food Journaling for 4 more weeks...Why???

Here I go again.  A client wants to lose those nasty last 10 lbs, and what did I say?  I said, "You should try food journaling!"  Then, without even thinking about it, my statement was followed with, "I'll do it with you for 4 weeks!"  So...here I go again, and can't wait to do this with a client who is determined to make her goal.

Typically, the average person can lose 1-3 pounds per week and that depends on several factors.  They include:  How much you need to lose.  How much you already weigh in relationship to your height. Go to http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597/ to figure out your body mass index (BMI).  By figuring out your BMI, you can get a better indication on what you'd like (or need) to lose. How much are you willing to exercise.  And finally, how will you track your food intake.  Notice these are not questions...rather statements.  All four of these factor in on how you will succeed.  Think about this first before turning those statements into questions for yourself.

Each person is different, and remember...slow and steady weight loss is a heck of a lot better than rapid weight loss.  Studies have shown that slow and steady weight loss will keep the weight off longer and hopefully forever.  Rapid weight loss tends to not be as effective since most will put on pounds after they lose the weight.  Why????  Because they are hungry and never really taught themselves how to eat right.

What I learned from food journaling from January to March this past year is this...
1.  I was able to put myself on a eating schedule.  No more mindless eating!
2.  I gave up all soda!
3.  I gave up artificial sweeteners (except those found in gum).
4.  I learned to recognize the difference between biological hunger and emotional hunger.
5.  Can't forget social hunger!  That can be tricky.  You're not actually hungry, but the awesome food is EVERYWHERE and it's SO GOOD!
6.  I'm still able to eat everything in moderation.  That is nice.
7.  Lastly, I learned how powerful I was from the experience.

Who's in?  Feel free to join me in this 4 week food journaling experience.  Why not?

I start today, Tuesday, July 24th and this will continue on until August 21st.

Tuesday, July 24th

Breakfast:  Frosted Mini Wheats, Frozen Blueberries, and Almond Milk; Coffee with Cinnabon creamer.  Yummy and filling!

Lunch:  1 egg and 2 egg white scrambled eggs with onion, ham, spinach, and cheese.  A piece of Brownberry Wheat toast with margarine and grape jelly.  A big glass of Key Lime Sparkling water.

The rest will be included in my next post.

Happy Journaling!  Let me know if you'll be joining me!

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment