Sunday, January 29, 2012

Food, Detox, and Poop

Dinner from Friday night was not terrible. The group ordered fried calamari and crab cakes for an appetizer, plus there was bread on the table that looked really good. I passed up on the bread, took a very small portion of calamari and also a bite or 2 of the crab cake. Both were very good! Had I not been keeping this journal, I would've had a couple pieces of bread, plus would've taken more of each of the appetizers as well. For dinner, I ordered 4 scallops with butternut squash. It was sooooo good! I shared one of my scallops with a friend, and she in turn, shared a small portion of her peppercorn steak salad. Her salad was so good too! We skipped dessert. As far as drinks, I had a couple dirty martinis with the blue cheese olives. Yep, downed 4 of those olives along with the martini. After dinner, we had a couple more drinks before heading home. I enjoyed 2 Miller Lites. During dinner, I drank ice water and downed quite of bit of it.

We got home and I was hungry. I decided to make a jelly sandwich on 1/2 pita. Mind you, I skipped the peanut butter part, which I totally would've had if I wasn't doing this blog. This was at midnight...big no no! But, I'm honest and this is what I did.

Saturday, January 28

Breakfast: Special K with Berries, Almond Milk, Frozen wild blueberries, and coffee

Morning Snack: Orange

Lunch: I made chicken salad lettuce wrap with lite mayo, a bit of chipotle mayo, onion, celery, and diced up red pepper. I added a little salt and pepper. I also ate about a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt with honey and a dash of cinnamon.

Something fantastic came out of lunch! My daughter asked what I was making. I made her a chicken lettuce wrap, and the first thing of her mouth was, "it's delicious!" Score for mom! This whole experience might actually be beneficial for the family as well. I tried with my son, and I was so proud that he tried it even though he didn't like it. Big surprise.

Snack: I took the kids out for a healthy low-cal smoothie. We ordered a 34 oz. one and split it 3 ways.

Snack: Cherry Pie Lara Bar

Dinner: Turkey (3 small slices) and American Cheese 5 inch sub sandwich, and a small piece of birthday cake. When we got home from the party, I opened our front door to the sweet aroma of take out pizza that my Wade and my son brought home...crap! BUT, I fought the urge and opted not to partake...since I had that piece of cake. Let me tell you...that cake was so good!

That's my food intake for day 6.

I do need to share with you about a seminar I went to today about the 21 Day Standard Process detoxification program. Normally, I can't imagine taking part in one of these, but after listening to Dr. Kelly talk about it, it seems very doable. Especially because you are eating food that is easily accessible and I like. I'm opting not to take part in the detox because I really want to concentrate on my food journal instead, but at another time, I would consider such a program.

During the talk, my intake of diet pop was brought up. I know that diet pop is not good for you, but I've chosen to ignore it because I think it tastes so good! But I did not ingest any yesterday, and I still survived:) Maybe I'll also try to not drink it for the duration of my food journaling, but I'm not promising anything! OK, so I listened and learned a ton about the body and how the liver and kidneys work hard to get rid of toxins we put in our bodies. If we rid ourselves of these toxins, we'll feel a lot better. I also learned that everyone should poop 18 inches a day. I don't think I do that, but my son...well, I think he certainly hits that goal every single day. Very impressive. Coincidentally, my daughter and I had a talk about poop that morning. I told her a story about an Oprah episode I watched a few years ago when she had Dr. Oz on. Love that guy! He educated me about poop that I will never forget. For example, poop that floats has a lot of fat in it. He said that poop should sink and be in the shape of an "S". I'm just saying... I mean, who doesn't look at their poop?

January 29th

Breakfast: I prepared 3 whole eggs, 2 additional egg whites, 1/4 c. milk, and a dash of pepper to make scrambled eggs. I ate 1/3 of it, and Wade ate the rest. I also had one piece of bacon, and a piece of toast with margarine and cinnamon and sugar. 10 oz. of coffee and a small glass of orange juice.

Snack: Orange

Lunch: Chicken Salad from yesterday in a pita, lettuce salad with a few pine nuts, croutons, and creamy balsamic vinaigrette dressing. A glass of skim milk.

That's all! I'll finish up the rest of my day next time:)  At this point, I feel good physically and emotionally.  I'm proud of the self-control that I've been exhibiting and I hope it continues.

3 comments:

  1. Jill...I gave up diet coke about 6 weeks ago and I have to say, I feel sooooo much better. It was hard the first few days and I do have one occasionally but I much prefer sparkling water with lime. I never thought I could give it up but I did and it's worth it. Plus, it makes the poops better :). Love your blog and food journals xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey, your substitution for diet coke was exactly what was recommended to me. I'm going to get some today, and some limes too. Are you still drinking coffee? I remember you drinking DD coffee, extra skim milk and 2 equal (or whatever sugar sub. you chose). I drank that for years. A couple months ago, my parents gave me a coffee maker and I only use real sugar and have stopped the sugar substitutes. Now that diet coke has been gone for a couple days, I'm wondering if most of the sugar subs have been eliminated out of my diet. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you remember the DD coffee!!! That's hilarious!! I actually don't drink tht much coffee anymore and I can't remember the last time I had dunkin coffee. I treat myself to a Starbucks skinny vanilla latte once a week and an occasional cup of joe at home on Sunday's....with fat free van creamer. Other than that, it's water and sparkling. Try la cruix

    ReplyDelete