Monday, August 4, 2014

One foot in front of the other...

I usually run alone.

My next goal is the Chicago Marathon on October 12, 2014.

It's just this thing I do.  Many of you have seen Jen and I during the week, but the long runs are left to me and my racing mind.  Remember, I said racing mind...not racing legs.

During each of my long runs, it always occurs to me that I should write about what goes through my head. Typically, the first topic that enters my mind is, "Running Is Weird".  Not even joking. The power of the mind is incredible if you really think about it.  I don't have a fancy training program.  I run twice during the week, and each of those distances are 1/2 of what my weekend long run is.  I use the word weekend, very loosely since I've been having a difficult time getting my butt out of bed early enough to get it out of the way. Instead, I find myself running the "long one" on Mondays.  Like today...and 85 degrees...and 15 miles...seriously!

I feel exactly the same about my short runs that I feel about my long runs.  My brain knows the mileage of the day...and I just do it.  It's crazy if you think about it.

You just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I think about last week's events, this coming week's events, how hot it is, when I get to turn around and head back, work stuff, house stuff, what's for dinner (usually this one does not get figured out), when is my GU time, where is that water fountain, my knee hurts, I'm starting to chafe again, my music sucks, is that dog going to bite me, where is the shade, I'm 20% done, I've got a 5k to go, no way is that fast girl going as far as me...yada, yada, yada...

However today's run was much different.  My thoughts kept on returning to the same topic over, and over, and over again...

My thoughts were going out to the those suffering over this past weekend's events in my hometown.  Four young men were taken from this world in a tragic accident.  These boys lives were cut short.  I never met them.  Instead, the parents of these boys are the ones I know.  I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like to experience such tragedy.  The only thing I could think of was to not let these families, friends, neighbors, the Western Dubuque community, "run alone".  Mourning together, grieving together, sharing memories together, and being together.  Know that people from all over the world are sending thoughts and prayers to all of you.

I also thought about the driver of the pick up truck.  He will, too, forever be affected by the events on Saturday afternoon.  Again, I can't even imagine.  He must never "run alone" either.  He needs others to be there for him too.

Lastly, my thoughts traveled to my friends and family back home who are experiencing watching their children mourn.  I know they will help the young ones through this difficult time, but it's not fair...nonetheless. The young ones will not "run alone".

Everyone must keep putting one foot in front of the other together.

As I met the halfway point of my run, I stopped to turn around and head home.  As I made the turn I'd been waiting for, a bird pooped on my head, and I couldn't help but laugh and wonder which of those kids did that to me.  Which one had that kind of humor that if they saw that happen to someone, they would bust out laughing.  From what I've read, it sounds like they'd all enjoy it.

Rest In Peace, Bryce, Sean, Mitchell, and Nick
The Bobcat Community has 4 angels up above looking down at all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment