Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Spin It! Holy Calorie Burn, Batman!

Practicing what I preach doesn't always have to do with food.  In fact, I believe there's a lot that I preach that has nothing to do with food...unless you want those ABS!!  Yes, sorry, those are typically made in the kitchen.

Writing down and make smart food choices MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
A little humor..

However, I'm steering clear of food this time and talking about Spin classes.  When we first opened FITT-RX, Jen made a comment about wanting to have Spin bikes someday.  Little secret...someday to me was defined as..."it'd be nice, but I don't see that for a long, long time!"  I'll chalk it up to her for putting the bug in my ear, because I wasn't a huge spin fan.  I've taken classes...liked them a little...but NEVER loved them.

So last fall that definition of "someday" became a reality as we discussed building out the basement.  Spin classes would be PERFECT down there!  Our clients have asked about Spin, so it was kind of a no brainer. However, I admit I was not keen on actually teaching Spin.  It just didn't seem to be me.

The research began...where to start?  We looked into places in the city, and ended up at FlyWheel.  We entered the lobby, checked in, and the guy asked if we wanted to have our numbers posted on the TV screen for everyone to see.  It wasn't a requirement, but seeing that Jen and I are uber-competitive, why not? We put on our spin shoe rentals, and enter a dark room where the spin bikes are set up like stadium seating. 45 bikes await their victims.

We start the class.  The instructor is clearly enjoying his music while he runs him arms down his body like a dancer (on a bike, mind you).  The bikes have computers so we can see our RPM's and our levels. Throughout the class, he does his thing...great music, dance moves, and tells us what levels to be on and what RPM's we should be at.  10 minutes in, I am dying.  Jen is next to me rocking it like it's NBD.  The first of many results come in, and I'm barely on the damn board.  Jen is in like 5th place, peddling like it's a wonderful sunny day.  30 minutes go in, I'm spewing sweat and consistently 2-3 gears lower than what is asked and at least 20 RPM's lower then what he's recommended us to be at.  Oh, and Jen...well she's sweating profusely...but is now moving up spots!  By the end of class, and she can correct me if I'm wrong...but ended up in 2nd like a rock star.  I can't even remember if I got kicked off the board.  I leave thinking...spin is not that fun, but I'm up to teach beginner spin if needed!

Post class...Jen has a video of me walking up the parking garage, but we'll save that for a rainy day.

Next we hit Loyola Medical Center's health club in Maywood.  I have a friend who works there, so she set us up to take a class.  We enter a tiny room with 14 bikes.  When I say tiny, I mean it's little.  However, ventilation was good.  These bikes did not have computers, but they did have a knob to turn to increase resistance.  I enjoyed the instructor's random jokes, and her style of teaching.  Of course, we sweated profusely, but I didn't stress about a leader board or the fact that I was always behind what was asked of me.  Good class...I'm feeling better.  Maybe I'll kick it up to someday teaching an advanced beginner class.

The 3rd destination I hit was CorePower Yoga in Elmhurst.  I heard about these Ryder bikes, but really just wanted to see another teaching style and maybe, just maybe, learn to like spin more...maybe LOVE it?  So I go, and these bikes move and turn!  The turning recruits more core into the ride, and yes, I felt my core after class for a day.  The instructor, Jori, was great.  She played great music, explained what was coming, and encouraged us every step of the way.  Lucky for FITT-RX, she's teaching with us too!

So we now have been on 3 different types of bikes.  We have one more to check out...not a class, but was highly recommended.  The Life Fitness Lifecycles.  We instantly loved them...smooth, durable, rust-proof, and with computers!  Everyone will know their RPM's and gear while in our classes.  SOLD!

Now please understand, I am thrilled about this new adventure for our studio.  However, scared to death to teach it still.  We decide to get certified.  Off to the Empower conference we go to get Schwinn Bike Certified!!  5 of us go to the conference, and we go through the 9 hour training.  The instructors, Shannon Fable and Jeffery Scott, are fabulous.  They make the day go by quickly, and give us 2 amazing classes.  I'm feeling a bit better about teaching it.
We are certified instructors!

The following day I decide to take a class design workshop, plus take yet a 3rd class by Shannon Fable.  It ALL clicked.  I walked up to her after class, and told her how much better I felt about teaching, and that it's not "all about the instruction syncing with the music".  It's about the music syncing with with what's been already planned out!  Light bulbs, fireworks, you name it...I finally felt ready and confident.  I went from feeling super uneasy and not enjoying Spin, to actually feeling excited about teaching.  Thank Goodness!

So yes, FITT-RX has Spin classes.  Yes, we have some really amazing instructors.  And finally, we love our dungeon, industrial atmosphere down there.  

Based on my Spin journey, I want to share a few things I've learned...  If you haven't tried it, try it.  If you haven't felt like you enjoy it, keep going.  If your butt hurts from the saddle, it gets better.  Because, I'll promise you one thing...once you get going, I know you'll LOVE it.  Today, I burned the most calories to date...527...that's pretty good for 50 minutes:)

Now when do I get to teach?  Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment